Chief Master Sgt. James A. Duty is the eighth Command Chief for the 180th Fighter Wing, Ohio Air National Guard, Toledo Express Airport, Swanton, Ohio. Chief Master Sgt. Duty is the senior enlisted leader at the 180th Fighter Wing, responsible for advising the Commander on all matters impacting the morale, health and welfare of the enlisted force. He is also the commander's principal advisor on all matters concerning quality of life issues and concerns of the enlisted corps. As Command Chief for an Aerospace Expeditionary Force tasked wing, he helps ensure the wing provides for America to include protection of the homeland, effective combat power and defense to civil authorities, while developing Airmen, supporting their families and serving in our communities.
Chief Duty entered into service in September 1980 and attended Basic Military Training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. Upon graduation from BMT, he entered into training as a Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Specialist, Sheppard AFB Texas, and graduated in December 1980. Chief Duty completed four years Active Duty service, stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska and Edwards AFB, California, as a Dedicated Crew Chief on the F-4E & F-15 aircraft. After his Active Duty tour, he enlisted in the Air National Guard in 1985 and continued to work in the Maintenance Group on a variety of aircraft, including the F-4D, A-7D and F-16CM. Chief Duty has worked in several maintenance capacities, as a Dedicated Crew Chief, Phase Inspection Mechanic, Repair and Reclamation Shop Chief, Phase Dock Chief, Aircraft Element Flight Chief, Aircraft Production Superintendent, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Superintendent, Component Maintenance Flight Superintendent, Quality Assurance Superintendent and Maintenance Group Superintendent. Chief Duty has deployed numerous times in support of Operation JUST CAUSE, Operation NORTHERN WATCH, Operation SOUTHERN WATCH, Operation NOBLE EAGLE, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and Operation ATLANTIC RESOLVE. Prior to assuming his current position, the Chief Duty served as the Quality Assurance Superintendent for the Maintenance Group at the 180th Fighter Wing, Swanton, Ohio.
1984 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Military Course, Edwards AFB, Calif.
1986 Supervisory Development Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala. by correspondence
1993 NCO Academy, residence, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
1999 USAF Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2003 ANG Chiefs Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2011 Associate degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
1. September 1980 – October 1980, Student, Basic Military Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 1980 – December 1980, Student, Tactical Aircraft Maintenance School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. January 1981 – February 1981, Student, F-4 Tactical Aircraft Maintenance School, George AFB, Calif.
4. February 1981 – February 1984, F-4E & F-15A Dedicated Crew Chief, 21st Aircraft Generation Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5. February 1984 – September 1984, F-4E Dedicated Crew Chief, 6515 OMS, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. February 1985 – September 1985, F-4D Repair & Reclamation, 108th CAMS / NJ ANG, McGuire AFB, N.J.
7. September 1985 – July 1994, A-7 & F-16 Phase Inspection Technician, 180th CAMS, Toledo ANGB, Ohio (December 1989 – Operation Just Cause, Howard AFB, Panama)
8. July 1994 – January 1997, F-16 Repair & Reclamation NCOIC, 180th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Toledo ANGB, Ohio (December 1996 – January 1997, Operation Provide Comfort, Incirlik AB, Turkey)
9. January 1997 – October 2000, F-16 Phase Dock Chief, 180th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Toledo ANGB, Ohio (April 1998 Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey (September – October 1999 - Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey; April – May 2000 - Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey)
10. October 2000 – July 2002, Aircraft Element Flight Chief & Production Superintendent, 180th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Toledo ANGB Ohio (July – August 2001. Operation Southern Watch, Al Jaber AB, Kuwait; September – December 2001, Operation Noble Eagle, 180th FW, Toledo, Ohio)
11. July 2002 – October 2007, Maintenance Superintendent, 180th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Toledo ANGB Ohio (August – September 2002, Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey; August – September 2005, Operation Iraqi & Enduring Freedom, Al Udeid AB, Qatar; May – July 2007, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Balad AB, Iraq)
12. October 2007 – October 2010 Maintenance Superintendent, 180th Component Maintenance Squadron, Toledo ANGB Ohio (October – December 2008, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Balad AB, Iraq)
13. October 2010 – July 2014, Maintenance Superintendent, 180th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Toledo ANGB Ohio (April – July 2013, Operation Enduring Freedom, Djibouti, Africa and Azraq AB, Jordan)
14. July 2014 – May 2020, Group and Quality Assurance Superintendent, 180th Maintenance Group, Toledo ANGB Ohio (Jan – April 2016, Theater Security Package, Anderson AFB, Guam; Jan – Mar 2018, Theater Security Package, Estonia, Spangdalm AB, Germany)
15. May 2020 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 180th Fighter Wing, Swanton, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with four oak clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with ten oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with three bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and three oak leaf clusters
U.S. Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon
Basic Military Training Honor Graduate
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Ohio Faithful Service Ribbon with five oak leaf clusters
Ohio Award of Merit with four devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman March 3, 1981
Airman First Class Sept. 3, 1981
Senior Airman Sept. 3, 1983
Staff Sergeant July 1, 1985
Technical Sergeant Sept, 15, 1992
Master Sergeant April 1, 1997
Senior Master Sergeant April 1, 2000
Chief Master Sergeant July 1, 2002
(Current as of May 2020)