Col. Michael J. DiDio is the Commander of the 180th Fighter Wing, Ohio Air National Guard, located at Toledo Express Airport, Swanton, Ohio. As Wing Commander for an Aerospace Expeditionary Force tasked wing, he ensures mission-ready Airmen are equipped and prepared to deploy worldwide. He oversees the formulation, development and coordination of programs, policies and plans that affect four groups and approximately 1,000 Airmen. In addition, the 180th Fighter Wing provides air defense for the Great Lakes region protecting 60 percent of the American population within a 600 mile radius in support of North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command taskings. The 180th Fighter Wing, flying the F-16 Block 42, is comprised of the Medical, Mission Support, Operations and Maintenance Groups.
Col. DiDio was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Kansas State University in 1995. Following the completion of pilot training at Vance Air Force Base, Okla., in 1997 and F-16 training at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. in 1998, he was assigned to Kunsan Air Base, Korea. While stationed at Kunsan, he served as the Electronic Combat Pilot and Assistant Chief of Weapons and Tactics. Following his assignment in Korea, he was assigned to Shaw Air Force Base, S.C., where he served as Activities Security Manager, Chief of Scheduling and Flight Commander. During his next tour at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, he was the Chief of Standardization and Evaluations and attended the U. S. Air Force Weapons School in 2003. After Weapons School, he returned to Mountain Home and served as the Chief of Weapons and Tactics. His next tour was as an Instructor at the U. S. Air Force Weapons School acting as the Air-to-Air Flight Commander and Assistant Director of Operations. Following his last active duty assignment at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., he joined the Iowa Air National Guard and was assigned as the Program Manager, then the Distributed Training Operations Center Director of Operations, followed by the DTOC Commander. His next tour was as the 112th Fighter Squadron Commander at Toledo Air National Guard Base, Ohio. Prior to assuming his current position, Col. DiDio was assigned as the 180th Fighter Wing Operations Group Commander.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Cum Laude honors, Kansas State University, Kan.
2002 U. S. Air Force Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 U. S. Air Force Weapons School, Outstanding Graduate and Academic Award, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
1. September 1996–September 1997, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. January 1998–June 1998, student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. August 1998–December 1999, F-16C Pilot/Flight Lead, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
4. December 1999–January 2003, F-16CJ Instructor Pilot, 79th Fighter Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
5. January 2003–June 2005, F-16CJ Instructor Pilot, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho
6. June 2005–June 2008, Weapons Instructor Course Instructor, 16th WPS, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
7. June 2008–October 2010, Program Manager, F-16C+ Instructor Pilot, 132nd Fighter Wing, Des Moines Air National Guard Base, Iowa
8. October 2010–July 2011, Distributed Training Operations Center Director of Operations, F-16C+ Instructor Pilot, Des Moines Air National Guard Base, Iowa
9. July 201–July 2013, Commander, Distributed Training Operations Center, F-16C+ IP, Des Moines Air National Guard Base, Iowa
10. September 2013–January 2017, Commander, 112th Fighter Squadron, 180th Fighter Wing, Toledo Air National Guard Base, Swanton, Ohio
11. January 2017–November 2019, Commander, 180th Operations Group, 180th Fighter Wing, Toledo Air National Guard Base, Ohio
12. November 2019 – Present, Commander, 180th Fighter Wing, Toledo Air National Guard Base, Swanton, Ohio
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight Hours: 3,100+
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-38A, AT-38B, F-16C/D, F-16CG/DG, F-16CJ/DJ, F-16CM
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven devices
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
AF Longevity Service with one device
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 'M' Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 20, 1996
First Lieutenant Jan. 20, 1998
Captain Jan. 20, 2000
Major March 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel April 27, 2010
Colonel Jan. 13, 2017
(Current as of November 2019)