Col. Randall S. Ortiz is the Vice Commander of the 180th Fighter Wing, Ohio Air National Guard, located at Toledo Express Airport, Swanton, Ohio. The 180th Fighter Wing is comprised of the Operations Group (F-16 Block 42), Maintenance Group, Mission Support Group and Medical Group. As Vice Commander for an Aerospace Expeditionary Force tasked wing he assists the Wing Commander to ensure it provides for America; to include protection of the homeland, effective combat power and defense support to civil authorities, while developing Airmen, supporting their families and serving in our communities.
Col. Ortiz was commissioned in August 1991 through the Academy of Military Science program located at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Knoxville, Tenn. He has been a career Maintenance Officer with combat experience spanning numerous contingencies deployments including Operations Northern and Southern Watch, Noble Eagle, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. He has served in leadership positions, including Deputy Maintenance Group Commander, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander, Sortie Generation officer in charge, Aircraft Maintenance officer in charge, and Field Maintenance Branch officer in charge. Prior to assuming his current position, Col. Ortiz served as the Maintenance Group Commander, assigned to the 180th Fighter Wing, Swanton, Ohio.
1990 Bachelor of Business Administration, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Masters of Business Administration, University of Findlay, Findlay, Ohio
2006 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2012 Senior Leaders Maintenance Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2015 Air War College by correspondence
2018 Commander’s Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
- August 1991 – May 1995, OIC, Field Maintenance Branch, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio
- May 1995 – February 2003, OIC, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio (September 1999 – October 1999 – Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik Air Base Turkey; July 2001 – August 2001 – Operation Southern Watch, Ahmed Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait; August 2002 – September 2002 – Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik Air Base Turkey)
- February 2003 – June 2006, OIC, Sortie Generation Flight, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio (August 2005 – October 2005 – Operation Iraqi & Enduring Freedom, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
- June 2006 – January 2011, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio (May 2007 – July 2007 – Operation Iraqi Freedom, Balad Air Base, Iraq; October 2008 – December 2008 – Operation Iraqi Freedom, Balad Air Base, Iraq)
- January 2011 – December 2015, Deputy Maintenance Group Commander, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio (September 2011 – October 2011 – Operation New Dawn, Moron Air Base Spain; April 2013 – July 2013 – Operation Enduring Freedom, Camp Lemonier Djibouti, Africa & Azraq Air Base, Jordan)
- December 2015 – May 2020, Maintenance Group Commander, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio
May 2020 – Present, Vice Commander, 180th Fighter Wing, Toledo Express Airport, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
AF Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one device
Iraq Campaign Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Ohio Commendation Medal
Ohio Award of Merit
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant – Aug. 8, 1991
First Lieutenant – Aug. 13, 1993
Captain – Aug. 13, 1995
Major – Sep. 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel – Jun. 20, 2006
Colonel – Dec. 10, 2015
(Current as of June 2020)